Medelco’s Café Brew Stovetop Percolator is made from laboratory quality borosilicate glass from Germany and is for use on electric and gas stove top ranges. This “Perk” is a great, affordable option that enables you to brew your own coffee…even when the power is out! BPA-free and dishwasher safe.
MODEL #PK008: PRODUCT SAFEGUARDS & WARNINGS, PRODUCT USE, CLEANING & CARE
When used properly, and as instructed, your Café Brew product will serve you well in your kitchen endeavors. However, misuse of the Percolator (“product”) can cause the glass to break or plastic components to melt and result in personal injury from cuts, scalding or hot/melted plastic. To avoid such events, please adhere to the information below. Instructions may be updated periodically; instructions listed here will supersede those that are included with your product packaging.
SAFEGUARDS & WARNINGS
• Read all information below prior to use.
• Save these instructions.
• Prior to use, provide these instructions to all users of this product.
• Product is strictly intended for brewing coffee as instructed. All other uses are strictly prohibited.
• Do not use product with any accessories that are not included with the product. Only use replacement parts manufactured by Medelco available at www.cafe-brew.com or call 888.633.3526.
• Notify any persons who may come in contact with product while in use, or within 2 hours after use, that the product has been heated.
• For adult use only; close supervision is necessary when used near children.
• Never leave the product unattended while in use.
• Use product on interior household stove top ranges only. Not for commercial use.
• Not for use on induction stove top ranges.
• Do not use product on or in the following devices: oven appliance, microwave oven, fire pit, barbeque grill or fireplace grill.
• Do not use product if handle becomes loose or weakened.
• Do not subject product to impact as it may weaken glass and cause it to break unexpectedly.
• Remove enclosed metal heat diffusing Trivet wire from inside Percolator body prior to use. This Trivet must always be placed on exposed Electric Range coils between the coils and Percolator glass. Failure to use Trivet on Electric Range coils can damage the product.
• The Trivet is not necessary for use on Gas, Glass or Ceramic Stovetops.
• Prior to each use, inspect glass to ensure there are no scratches, nicks or cracks. Immediately discontinue use of product if damaged.
• Maximum capacity is 8 cups as delineated at the bottom of the stainless steel band on the Percolator. Do not fill water level above the bottom of the band; overfilling product with water can cause boil over.
• Do not heat or boil product if water level is below the “4” cup level marking on glass – this is the minimum water level.
• Do not boil product dry or heat when empty, as this can damage the glass or cause the plastic components to melt. Discontinue use of product if boiled dry or heated empty.
• Align lid opening with the glass pour spout to allow for ventilation and to prevent steam buildup inside product.
• Handle may become hot during use. Use of oven mitts is recommended.
• Do not place product on cold or wet surface after removing from burner.
• Use caution when removing Lid, removing brewing components or pouring to prevent scalding and injury from spillover or steam.
• Once the coffee has reached the preferred color, immediately remove product from the heat source.
• Failure to comply with these instructions may result in damage to the glass that isn't clearly visible, resulting in breakage during use and/or may cause the plastic components to melt.
• If during heating/use you disregarded these instructions, or suspect the glass is damaged or plastic components may have melted:
1. DO NOT TOUCH OR MOVE PRODUCT.
2. Immediately turn off heat source.
3. Immediately instruct any persons who may come in contact with product to not touch or move product.
4. Allow product to cool for 2 hours.
5. After 2 hours, using an oven mitt, carefully remove product from heat source.
6. Discard product.
GENERAL PRODUCT USE (in accordance with Safeguards & Warnings above)
• FOR GAS RANGES: use on medium size burner (max. 3.5” dia. burner cap) on medium heat setting; consult your range instructions for heat settings. Do not allow flame to extend beyond the bottom surface of the glass. Reduce from medium to low heat setting if flame extends beyond bottom surface of the glass.
• FOR ELECTRIC RANGES: use on small size burner (max. 5.6” dia.) on medium heat setting; consult your range instructions for heat settings. Do not place product on burner that is larger than the width of the glass.
1. Place Trivet on Electric Range coils as applicable.
2. Add water to the Percolator, noting required minimum and maximum water levels.
3. Insert stand and brew basket into the glass.
4. Add one rounded tablespoon of coarsely ground coffee into the brew basket for every cup of water. Depending on taste, you may use more or less coffee.
5. Cover the brew basket with the basket lid and insert top lid; align top lid opening with glass pour spout to allow for ventilation.
6. Place Percolator on stove top to brew. As the coffee percolates the liquid will be forced up through the stem, bubble inside the lid knob, and distribute over the top of the basket lid. The liquid will then seep through the coffee grounds and drip through the bottom of the basket and into the lower portion of the Percolator.
7. Once bubbling begins, continue percolating for 6-10 minutes maximum. The longer the coffee percolates, the stronger the flavor. Keep in mind that percolated coffee often tastes stronger than drip coffee so experiment with water and coffee ratios to achieve your favorite brew.
8. Once percolating is complete, immediately remove product from the heat source.
9. Carefully remove the top lid, stem & brew basket before serving the coffee.
10. To keep coffee warm after initial percolating:
• Do not leave product unattended.
• Remove top lid, brew basket and stand from inside glass.
• Place product on range small burner using lowest heat setting only.
• Do not boil product dry or allow liquid to boil out below “4” cup level marking.
CLEANING & PRODUCT CARE
• Do not use abrasive pads, brushes, cleaners or any metal products on or inside of glass Kettle.
• Do not scrub any scale buildup as it may scratch the glass and result in breakage. Use a liquid descaler as directed by descaler product, but do not scrub the glass.
• Use only sponge, plastic or nylon wash pads with soapy water when washing by hand.
• Dishwasher top rack safe. Avoid Kettle contact with other items in dishwasher.