Medelco’s Café Brew Stovetop Percolator is made from laboratory quality borosilicate glass from Germany and is for use on electric and gas stove top ranges. This “Perk” is a great, affordable option that enables you to brew your own coffee…even when the power is out! BPA-free and dishwasher safe.
MODEL #PK008: INSTRUCTIONS, SAFEGUARDS & WARNINGS, PRODUCT USE, CLEANING & CARE
Misuse of the Percolator can cause the glass to break or plastic components to melt and result in personal injury from cuts, scalding or hot/melted plastic. Instructions may be updated periodically; instructions listed at www.cafe-brew.com may be more recent than those that are included with your product packaging.
BEFORE YOU BEGIN
• Read all information below. All users should read and save these instructions.
• Not for commercial use. Percolator is strictly intended for brewing coffee as instructed. All other uses are strictly prohibited. Do not use with any accessories that are not included.
• Remove enclosed metal heat-diffusing Trivet wire from inside Percolator body prior to use. This Trivet must always be placed on exposed Electric Range coils between the coils and Percolator glass. Failure to use Trivet on Electric Range coils may damage the product. Trivet is not necessary for use on Gas, Glass or Ceramic Stovetops.
• Use percolator on interior household stove top ranges only. Do not use on or in the following devices: induction stove top ranges, oven appliance, microwave oven, fire pit, barbeque grill or fireplace grill.
HOW TO USE
• Maximum capacity is 8 cups (40oz +/-) as marked at the bottom of the stainless-steel band on the Percolator. Do not fill water level above the bottom of the band; overfilling percolator with water can cause boil over.
• Do not heat if water level is below the “4” cup (20oz) level marking on glass – this is the minimum water level.
FOR GAS RANGES: use on medium size burner (maximum 3.5-inch diameter burner cap) on medium heat setting; consult your range instructions for heat settings. Do not allow flame to extend beyond the bottom surface of the glass. Reduce from medium to low heat setting if flame extends beyond bottom surface of the glass.
FOR ELECTRIC RANGES: use on small size burner (maximum 5.6-inch diameter) on medium heat setting; consult your range instructions for heat settings. Do not place product on burner that is larger than the width of the glass. IMPORTANT: Place Trivet on Electric Range coils to diffuse the heat
1. Add from 4 cups (20oz) to 8 cups (40oz) of water to the Percolator.
2. Insert stand and brew basket into the glass.
3. Add one rounded tablespoon of coarsely ground coffee into the brew basket for every cup of water. Percolated coffee often tastes stronger than drip coffee so experiment with the amount of coffee to achieve your favorite brew.
4. Cover the brew basket with the basket lid and insert top lid; align lid opening with the glass pour spout to allow for ventilation and to prevent steam buildup inside percolator.
5. Place Percolator on stove top to brew. As the coffee percolates the liquid will be forced up through the stand, bubble inside the lid knob, and distribute over the top of the basket lid. The liquid will then seep through the coffee grounds and drip through the bottom of the basket into the lower portion of the Percolator. Once bubbling begins, continue percolating for 6-10 minutes maximum. The longer the coffee percolates, the stronger the flavor. Once the coffee has reached the preferred color, immediately remove percolator from the heat source.
6. To keep coffee warm after initial percolating:
• Remove top lid, brew basket and stand from inside glass with an oven mitt.
• Place product on range small burner using lowest heat setting only.
• Do not boil product dry or allow liquid to boil out below “4” cup level marking.
• Warn anyone who may come in contact with percolator while in use, or within 2 hours after use, that the percolator may still be hot.
• For adult use only; close supervision is necessary when used near children.
• Never leave the percolator unattended while in use.
• Handle may become hot during use. Use of oven mitts is recommended.
• Use caution when removing lid/brewing components and pouring to prevent scalding from spillover or steam.
• Do not use percolator if handle becomes loose or weakened.
• Do not subject percolator to impact as it may weaken glass and cause it to break unexpectedly.
• Prior to each use, inspect glass to ensure there are no scratches, nicks or cracks. Immediately discontinue use of percolator if damaged.
• Do not boil out the water or heat glass when empty. This can damage the glass or cause the plastic components to melt. Discontinue use of product if boiled dry or heated empty.
Failure to comply with these instructions may result in damage to the glass that isn't clearly visible, resulting in breakage during use and may cause the plastic components to melt, causing personal injury.
If during heating/use you disregarded these instructions, or suspect the glass is damaged or plastic components may have melted:
1. DO NOT TOUCH OR MOVE PERCOLATOR.
2. Immediately turn off heat.
3. Immediately instruct any persons who may come in contact with percolator to not touch or move it.
4. Allow percolator to cool for 2 hours.
5. After 2 hours, using an oven mitt, carefully remove percolator from stove.
6. Discard product.
CLEANING & PRODUCT CARE
• Do not use abrasive pads, brushes, cleaners or any metal products on or inside of glass.
• Do not scrub any mineral scale buildup as it may scratch the glass and result in breakage. Use a liquid mineral descaler as directed by descaler product, but do not scrub the glass.
• Use only sponge, plastic or nylon wash pads with soapy water when washing by hand.
• Dishwasher top rack safe. Avoid percolator contact with other items in dishwasher.